Friday, February 12, 2010

Adventures in Walmart

So today, we went to Wal mart to pick up some curtains I ordered through the free site to store shipping. For some reason I am redecorating Cora's room for the third time in her very short life. Oh well. After our trip to Walmart I planned on going to Aldi's to buy pretty much all the canned goods we will need for the next year--big day. In Wal mart we get the curtains with no problems and all of a sudden Bryant wails and screams that his shoe has broken. It was true. His shoes have little bungee cords to tighten them and one of them had snapped, rendering the shoe useless. Bryant said that he couldn't go on, and that he would just have to go home. I have been planning this trip to Aldi for a while, and today was the day, so I told him we could just buy him a pair of croc's or something and he'd be fine. Also, take note that in the last month he has lost TWO pairs of shoes. I'm sure we'll find them, but they have been MIA for a while now, and one pair I just bought in November. Anyways, it's not like he had a lot of shoes to come home to or anything, so when we saw that they had no crocs, I just told him to pick a pair and be done with it.
This was an agonizing decision. Each color required the utmost consideration and thought, he couldn't decide whether he wanted a 10 or an 11. He didn't know if he wanted Disney Car shoes or regular, velcro or tie. Finally, I had to remind him that he hated the movie cars and that he needed to learn to tie his own shoes since he's almost five, and that he should just man up and get some regular shoe-lace shoes. So he did. After I removed the tags and put them on, he instantly changed his mind and needed the other color. I took the tags off the new color and put those on and he said they were too small and didn't feel right. I told him they fit great and he just needed a few minutes. He calmed down.
Pretty sweet for Wal mart right?

So all the while Bryant is meticulously trying to decide on his shoes Cora is tearing apart the shoe isle looking at all pink and white tennis shoes and taking them out of the boxes to get a better look. While looking, she found a pair of pink and white Disney princess shoes that light up when you walk. Frankly, I hate shoes with characters on them, and never wanted to buy any. I didn't come here to buy shoes, I came to buy curtains. But this little girl had fire in her eyes, and there was just no way Bryant was going out of Wal mart with new shoes and she not. I tried feebley to disagree and told her that Bryant needed shoes because his broke. She wouldn't hear a word of it, and started to throw a very nice tantrum. The truth is that I rarely give into tantrums. I think that's why my kids don't have them very often, but I felt for her. I just knew that she had to have them, so I sighed and said "Happy Valentine's day!" They were both so happy. I'm such a stickler for consistency and not giving in to my kids demands and whims, but today, it just felt right. And you bet she put those shoes on right there and has refused to take them off for the rest of the day.
And we still got to go to Aldi where I spent an amazing amount of money and ended up with a cart so heavy that some man had to help me push it out to the car. It was awesome.

Here's the can pyramid that Bryant built at lunch time

2 comments:

Janette Allen said...

Wow...big day...tell Bryant Grandma wants to see him tie those shoe laces next time we are on Skype OK! Tell Cora Grandma thinks her new shoes are so so so pretty!

Krissy said...

LOL Oh that's just awesome. I'm sure it was frustrating when you were in the store, but I love writing about my most excellent adventures in public. lol I haven't done it in a long time, maybe once I get settled, in a couple months I'll get back to it. :)