Sunday, August 22, 2010

Comfort TV

One more story for tonight. For those of you who have Netflix, you all know what an amazingly wonderful thing it is. My husband HATES TV. He does not watch TV. Now that 24 is off the air, he will likely never watch TV again. Until we started streaming netflix through the TV that is. Now he has all the history shows he could ever watch just beckoning him to stretch out on the couch, which he does now on occasion. Erick has said so many times "I can't believe we wasted so many months without Netflix on our TV." It's true. It is amazing.

The other night Erick was working late and I was flipping through the netflix instant play options. I came upon Season 1 of The X Files. I had to watch an episode. You see, when I was probably around nine years old, my dad and I and I'm sure some of the other kids would watch The X Files on Friday nights. I didn't remember much about the show other than that I would never have admitted to ANYONE at school that I watched such a weird show with my DAD, but I think I remember liking it. So I pressed play and it's amazing what memories can do. As the X Files theme music began to play I could remember my dad whistling along with it as he did every week (over 15 years ago!). He would even do a neat duet where he would do an echo with the music (which also sounds like whistling). I remembered being that young girl spending time with my dad watching The X Files. And it brought me the strangest sense of peace and comfort. Let me say. The show is a lot scarier than I ever remember it being. But it probably wasn't that scary when I was 9 because I was watching it with dad. I can say it's a lot easier to follow those plot lines now that I'm 27 though.

In the last two weeks I've watched about four episodes. It's kind of funny. If I've had a long stressful day, there's nothing like curling up on the couch with a bowl of ice cream and a good episode of the X files. It just feels right. It feels like dad's right there whistling along and I'm a 9 year old without a care in the world! So thanks for watching TV with me dad. It was fun back then, and it means a lot now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of those same memories, especially the whistling. I asked Greg about it and he said he remembered it as well. He told me that we watched it from like 1993 until it moved to Sunday around like, 1999. So that means we watched it from age 3-9! I can't believe I forgot about that until now!

Heather said...

Dude X-Files was the cool show to watch in good ol' Tracy. Of course, I was too big of a pansy to watch it but my brothers did religiously, even when it moved to Sundays. Greg and I have also enjoyed re-watching/watching X-Files, but we've watched a few seasons. We're not quite like Erick...In fact, I think I may watch some right now.

Kyra and Ben said...

We were so meant to be friends! I watched it with my dad every friday night too! And then Cecilia and I watched it up at college a couple times and decided it was too scary--guess having dad there made it less scary somehow:)

christine said...

hello, i didn't know where else to respond to your comment, so i came to your blog. you posted about tatget on my blog. i have had the same issues, but i also found a target that will push my coupon through. in case you're interested i now have a blog specifically dedicated to my couponing trips. it's www.fullerfamilyfrugality.blogspot.com thanks for leaving a comment. it's my first one!